Well, it’s official. No marketer is safe from inbound phone calls. At Invoca, we’re seeing more and more customers across all industries transitioning between online and offline conversations throughout the purchasing process. Phone calls are a major part of digital marketing, and if you think they don’t have a place in your marketing world, you may want to think again.
In a brand new report, The 2015 Call Intelligence Index, Invoca analyzed over 30 million phone calls that ran through its platform in 2014. This representative sample of data shows how phone calls are changing the digital marketing landscape.
Take a look at the stats below to see what we mean. If you want to skip ahead and get the full report, you can download it here.
Digital Marketing Drives Phone Calls
1. 70% of phone calls come from digital marketing channels. – Click to Tweet
2. Mobile search drove 45% of all calls. – Click to Tweet
3. Desktop search drove 9% of calls. – Click to Tweet
Customers Want the Option to Call
4. Invoca has seen nearly a 40% increase in calls across industries in 2014. – Click to Tweet
5. 75% of consumers say a phone call is the quickest way to get a response. (Source: New Voice Media) – Click to Tweet
6. 52% of people who connect with a business after a mobile search do so over the phone. (Source: Luma Partners) – Click to Tweet
7. 61% of mobile searchers say click-to-call is most valuable in the purchase phase of shopping. (Source: Google) – Click to Tweet
8. 51% of mobile searchers report they always or frequently need to call a business from a mobile search ad. (Source: Google) – Click to Tweet
Quality Metrics Reveal Phone Calls Are Highly Valuable Leads
9. Phone calls have 30-50% conversion rates, compared to only 1-2% for clicks. – Click to Tweet
10. The average call duration is 4 minutes and 7 seconds. – Click to Tweet
11. Desktop display refers calls that last an average of 5 minutes and 7 seconds. – Click to Tweet
12. Calls to Home Service companies last an average of 6 minutes and 48 seconds. – Click to Tweet
Interesting Caller Insights
13. Tuesdays receive the highest volume of calls with an average of 48% higher call volume than Sundays. – Click to Tweet
14. Mississippi drives the highest call volume per capita of any state (180 calls per 1,000 people). – Click to Tweet
15. Hawaii has the highest mobile to landline ratio of any state, with 85% of calls coming from mobile phones. – Click to Tweet
16. 25% of all phone calls still come from landlines. – Click to Tweet
Phone Calls Effect Major Industries
17. Over 2/3 of the calls placed in 2014 were spread across more than 40 industries. – Click to Tweet
18. 1/3 of calls placed in 2014 were concentrated in the following industries: Insurance (Auto and Health), Financial Services, Home Services, Education, and Automotive. – Click to Tweet
19. 56% of calls to Education industries were generated by mobile search. – Click to Tweet
20. 53% of Insurance calls were generated by online channels. – Click to Tweet
The numbers don’t lie, folks. Digital marketers are realizing that phone calls have got to be factored in to the path to purchase, or you risk losing customers. To get the full story behind these statistics, download the full report here.